Thursday, February 26, 2009

005

Jane and Richie walked along the beach until they'd found a nice secluded spot to plop themselves down on. It was late so there weren't a lot of people around anyway, but if there had've been... they had plenty of privacy.

They sat on the shore in silence for a little while, just staring out at the moonlit ocean. It was indeed a beautiful night. The sparkling stars lit up the sky above them, and the moon, as Richie had promised, was out big and bright.

It had been a long time since Jane had done this. Without anyone to share it with, it didn't seem as special.

"It still goes on forever, doesn't it?" ... she finally uttered.

"Forever," Richie repeated.

Jane lay back on the sand and closed her eyes, breathing in the ocean air. She felt like it was 1986 again and she was back in Jersey, spending a night under the stars with a man she could've spent the rest of her life with. She smiled warmly at the thought.

Richie followed suite and lay back, wondering what Jane was thinking as the smile crossed her face. He used to be able to read her like a book; completely tuned in to her every emotion, but now it felt like she was putting up a brick wall.

Of course, it had been a long, long time.

He propped himself up on one elbow and stared down at her. She looked so peaceful lying there.

Like an angel, he thought.

He was desparately fighting the urge to touch her face; to kiss her lips. What he wouldn't give to do that once more.

"It's still... something beautiful too," he said.

Jane opened her eyes to find him peering down at her, that heart melting smile she knew well playing on his lips. "What are you thinking?" ... she asked.

"Just... how... amazing this is, being here with you."

"Mm," Jane nodded agreeingly.

"What are you thinking?"

"Something along those lines. And I was thinking about the old days... home, Hank... stuff that hasn't really entered my mind in a while."

"Ugh," Richie groaned. "Let's try not to ruin the moment, huh?"

Jane chuckled, "I'm sorry, he just popped into my head."

She sat up again and stared back out at the ocean, a look of melancholy sweeping her face. "Can I tell you a secret?"

"I love secrets."

Jane paused for a moment, as if she was trying to find the courage to say what she wanted to say. "Remember that day at the airport?"

"I remember," he nodded.

How could I forget?

"I wish I'd stayed."

Richie sat upright, slightly thrown off by Jane's confession. He'd wished the same thing too for a long time, but he'd slowly come to realize it was for the best, for both of them.

"Janie," he started as he searched for the right words. "The decision you made to leave... I... I believe it was the right one."

"You do?"

"I do--I mean, don't get me wrong... it hurt. For a long time." A sad smile creased Richie's face as he finished that sentence. "But when I look back at everything... I dunno, I just feel like I had a lot of growing up to do, ya know... I wouldn't trade any of the experiences I've had. I got married for Christ's sake!" ... he exclaimed in disbelief. "Can you imagine that? Now I've got a kid--a beautiful kid, and I hear you've got two of 'em!"

"Three," Jane mouthed as she held out three fingers. "There's Maddie, she's almost sixteen now-"

"Is that how long it's been?"

Jane nodded, "It feels like longer, doesn't it?"

"A lot longer," he admitted. "So who are the other two?"

"The twins," she stated proudly. "James and Jamie, they're seven."

"Wow... little Jimmy, huh?"

"You know, when I saw him for the first time... when he opened his eyes and looked up at me, there was just no other name I could give him. Every day he reminds me more and more of his Uncle."

It brought joy to Richie's heart to see Jane looking so happy. Her face completely lit up as she talked about her kids; the same way he was sure his face lit up when talking about Ava. After everything she'd been through in her life, she deserved all the happiness in the world.

"See, it was definitely a good thing that you left."

"Thank you," she said sincerely.

"For what?"

"For this... it's nice."

Jane lay back on the sand once more, completely relaxed for the first time since Richie had approached her. She felt safe lying there next to him, though she knew it couldn't last long; they'd both eventually be going their separate ways. "I wish this moment could last forever," she said dreamily.

"I dunno," Richie said, taking note of the longing in her voice. He lay back too, resting his head softly against hers. Staring up at the stars he continued, "I haven't even kissed you yet. If time wants to stop, it'll have to wait."

Jane laughed, "Time's gonna be waiting a long time then, huh?"

"Not if I can help it."

Jane just shook her head and laughed again. She knew he'd get his way if she entertained this discussion much longer. "You know what?" ... she said as she tried to stand. "I think it's about time to call it a night."

"Uh uh," Richie wasn't going to let her get away that easily. He'd been chasing her all night, for lack of a better word. Why stop now? He caught her wrist and pulled back slightly, just enough for her to stumble.

Jane yelped when she felt herself falling; right into his lap she went, her back to him.

"Oh my," he said.

"Richie!"

"What?" ... he asked innocently. "Am I making you uncomfortable?"

"Constantly!"

"I'm sorry," he said through a smirk. "I don't want you to go," he added, his voice taking on a more somber tone.

Jane breathed in deeply, letting the cool night air fill her lungs. She didn't want to go either. "I have to."

"No you don't."

"I really do," she insisted.

"OK," Richie sighed hopelessly. He held his hands in the air, indicating she was free to go.

She didn't move.

"Change your mind?" ... he asked.

Silence.

"Janie?"

Jane closed her eyes and tilted her head back, causing Richie to instinctively wrap his arms around her waist. He took the oppurtunity to breathe in her scent, letting it completely intoxicate him. "I'm getting a lot of mixed signals here," he quipped.

"Rich, I-"

"I want you," he breathed into her ear.

Jane felt herself stiffen as a ripple of goosebumps ran through her body. She had to leave now. She should have left when he'd given her the chance.

Why the hell didn't I?

"Turn around," he whispered.

"I can't do this, Richie," she said sternly, though she didn't make a move to get away.

"We're not doing anything."

"Rich, please," Jane pleaded.

"I'm not forcing you to stay, darlin'."

"But you're making it impossibly hard for me to leave."

Richie sighed as he loosened his hold around her waist. "You can go whenever you want," he said. "But first, just explain to me why this... why us is such a bad idea."

Jane bit down on her lower lip. She knew her reasoning wouldn't satisfy him, but it was all she had. She turned around to face him, causing him to wiggle his brows when their eyes met. She chose to ignore that.

"The thing is that... when this week is over, I'm going home. You'll probably be here for a while, but eventually you'll go home too. So we'll both go back to our separate little lives in our separate little worlds and never see each other again."

Jane was waving her hands all over the place as she tried to explain.

"I know you'll make me..." she trailed off. "Which will make the goodbye harder... and the goodbye is inevitable."

"I'll make you what?"

Jane rolled her eyes, "Why do you always focus on the awkward things I say?"

"Because they're usually highly to my liking," Richie smirked. "It doesn't have to be like that y'know... our lives don't have to be separate."

"They already are, Rich."

"Look," Richie began has he rolled Jane off him and onto her back. He lingered there for a moment, holding her gaze, only one thought running through his mind. He surprised them both when all he did was get to his feet and hold his hand out for her.

"There's this little recording studio downtown," he contined as he helped Jane up. "We've been working there for a few weeks... I could've stayed with Jon, but instead I chose to stay at a hotel. This hotel couldn't have been further away, but it was the only one available. And it wasn't just any hotel; it was the same hotel you chose to stay at..."

"Because it was the only one available," Jane added.

Richie put his finger to her mouth to shush her before he started again. "Not once had I so much as thought about going to the bar for a drink, not once. But then tonight I was supposed to meet someone there--he hooked up with some chick instead, so there I was all by myself, enjoying my non-alcoholic beer," he shuddered. "And out of nowhere this woman appeared, who I couldn't take my eyes off."

Richie stopped in mid-step, looking at her expectantly, hoping he hadn't lost her with all that.

"So... you're saying this is destiny?" ... was her response.

"I'm saying... I think it's more than a happy coincidence, that's all."

"This is pretty heavy for a first date."

Richie chuckled as he took a step towards her. "I just want you to know how I feel, Jane."

"After only a few hours?"

"No," Richie shook his head as he took another step towards her. "Try twenty years."

She nodded thoughtfully. "But nothing changes the fact that we live... worlds apart."

A soft sigh escaped Richie's lips as he took one more step towards her. "What do I have to do to convince you, Janie?" ... he asked, though he wasn't really looking for an answer.

Jane fought hard against every one of her instincts as Richie practically devoured her with his eyes. He slowly lowered his lips to hers, waiting for some indication of acceptance. He knew she wanted it just as much as he did, so it killed him when she pulled out.

"I'm sorry," she said, and turned away. She was intent on running all the way back to the hotel when Richie caught her wrist and spun her around. "Me too," he growled before pulling her tightly against him.

"What-"

Jane was cut off by the sweet, sweet taste of his lips on hers. She let herself enjoy it for one brief moment, before the reality of what would happen when this dream ended hit her. She pulled back sharply and slapped him clean across the face.

"Ow!" ... he cried. "What the hell was that for?"

"Because you're an idiot, Richie!" ... she spat. "An inconsiderate ass of an idiot!"

"I'm inconsiderate?!"

"I told you I didn't want this, but you just keep pushing-pushing and pushing until I can't fight it anymore."

Richie dropped his head in frustration. He wanted so desparately to make it better again, but what could he possibly say? He wasn't sorry for the kiss.

Maybe I am inconsiderate, he sighed.

He looked up again to find Jane walking away from him, disappearing into the night. Cursing himself for making her so upset, he started after her, knowing he had to fix this now or he might not get another chance to.

"Jane, wait!" ... he called. She only picked up her pace, causing Richie to pick up his. "Janie!" ... he called again. Finally she slowed down, letting him catch up with her. He moved in front of her, blocking her path, beckoning her to stop completely.

Jane came to a halt and crossed her arms. Looking past him she asked, "What?"

"You're right, I'm an idiot, please forgive me, friends?" ... he got out in one breath. The terrible job she was doing of suppressing her smile didn't go unnoticed by him either. "I know you can't stay mad at me forever," he said confidently.

"I can and I will," Jane replied with her nose in the air.

Richie couldn't take it anymore; as much fun as he'd been having, she frustrated him to no end. "I'll show you why you can't," he growled.

Without warning, he scooped Jane up by the waist and slung her over his shoulder.

"What are you doing?!" ... she questioned in alarm. She got her answer when Richie started running towards the ocean. "Don't even think about it!"

He kept going until he reached the water's edge, Jane kicking and screaming the whole way.

"Do you forgive me?" ... he asked, threatening to drop her as he leaned foward.

"I forgive you! Put me down!" ... she squealed.

"I'm not convinced," Richie teased. He took a big step foward. "I think that you..." another big step. "Just don't want to get wet," he continued.

"I'm serious, Richie!"

"I can tell!" ... he said with one more big step. Now they were nearly knee deep in the water.

"So put me down!" ... she squealed for a second time.

"Have dinner with me."

"What?!"

"Promise to have dinner with me... and I'll put you down."

Jane let out an exasperated sigh. "Rich, why do you have to-"

"Everyone needs to eat, Janie."

"This is true, " she admitted. "Put me down."

Richie did as she asked this time, but he didn't let her go completely. He kept his arms around her waist, holding her close to him, scared that she might run away if he didn't.

"You're not gonna give up, are you?"

"Nope," he shook his head.

Not this time.

"OK."

"OK? You mean yes?"

"Yes... I would just love to have dinner with you, Mr. Richie," Jane exaggerated.

"See, you can't stay mad at me," he winked. "I'm irresistible."

Jane rolled her eyes. "You're insane and I'm scared for my life."

"Well, if that's the way you feel..." Richie tried to pick her up again, but she somehow wiggled her way out of his arms.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry!" ... she screamed as she ran for the shore. "I take it back, you're irresistible."

Richie caught up to her in no time. Wrapping his arms around her he whispered, "So are you," into her ear.

Jane shivered feeling his warm breath on her neck. "I gotta go, Richie."

"I know."

She turned around to face him. "Goodnight," she said as she placed a soft kiss on his cheek.

"Goodnight, Ms. Janie."

3 comments:

  1. How could she resist him ???!!!

    Beautiful, funny and long chapter :-)

    Can't wait for more.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much, I appreciate it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like it. So, is she still married? Or why is she fighting him so hard?...Can't wait for more!!

    ReplyDelete