Monday, February 23, 2009

004

Richie sat there, just staring at her, a hint of smugness in his soft smile. "Hi," he simply said.

"Hey," Jane breathed.

Richie cocked his head to the side as he leaned in just a little bit closer. "Why'd you put me through all of that?" he asked.

"You're the one who couldn't even remember me!"

"I kind of did," he reasoned. "If you'd just told me your name I would have figured it out a lot faster."

"And... ?" Jane pushed.

"What?"

"My name..."

"Ah," Richie smiled knowingly. "You don't believe that I remember you?"

"I do, I just wanna hear you say it."

"It would be pretty sad if I got it wrong, I'm not sure I wanna risk it."

Jane exhaled deeply, being as dramatic as she could. "Richie..." she sighed.

"That's my name."

"Stop teasing me," she pouted.

Richie leaned in closer yet again, his eyes holding hers as he did. "Janie," he whispered. He slowly pulled back and peered down at her, searching her face for any kind of response.

All the calmness Jane had felt before, largely aided by alcohol... and the fact that she was upset with Richie, was quickly fading away. She didn't know how to respond, all she could do was smile dimly as she let everything sink in. She'd thought about this moment so many times before; the moment when she'd finally see him again, and now here they were.

"Wow," she whispered back, after what felt like an eternity.

"Wow," Richie agreed. "It's good to see you, kid."

Jane laughed, "It's good to see you, adult."

Richie was beaming now, he couldn't help it. He couldn't believe it really was her. He'd thought about this moment many times before too, though it had never played out quite like this. "Let me buy you a drink," he offered once more.

"I don't think so, Rich. It's late and I've already had-"

"C'mon, just one? It's not like you have to drive home."

"No, but I do have to be somewhere in the morning," Jane explained. "Besides, what I said earlier still stands... I don't think it's a good idea."

"Yeah," Richie nodded. "What's with that?"

"You know what," she said with a deliberate smile. "I know where this is leading."

"Ah," Richie returned her smile. "So you think us is a bad idea?"

Jane contemplated her answer. She didn't want to say the wrong thing, but then she didn't want to give him the wrong idea either. "Us, at this time, is a bad idea... yes."

"So when will it be a good idea?"

"You're unbelievable," Jane laughed.

"Thank you," Richie grinned. "So listen, if you won't let me buy you a drink, at least take a walk with me..."

"A walk?"

"Yeah, I need to get outta this place."

"Rich, it's like two in the morning," she said as she looked at her watch.

"I know," he shrugged and stood up. "It's a beautiful night, there's a beach not too far from here..."

"I-"

"The moon's out big and bright."

Jane smiled as she realized what he was doing. "I'm over that," she said, standing to meet his mischievous grin.

"I'm not." Richie offered her his hand, his eyes begging her to take it. "Please?" he asked softly.

No comments:

Post a Comment